Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pinterest Is the Devil (Part 2): The Sock Bun

Hello, I have returned. After about a month off of blogging due to a sabbatical from social networks, I am excited to report that I have thought of many fun new thoughts to share with you lovely people since I've been gone. Of course, I want to start off with another post about the bane of my existence: pinterest. I love that website, but now it's getting to be a widespread campus epidemic! Specifically I want to comment on the "Sock Bun". By the end of this blog you will be so informed that you will be calling it out left and right, even if you're hair inept (like me).

In essence, one of the basic principles of this website is that there is an emphasis on creating a wish list for various aspects of life, and hey, as an organized person, why would this be bad? Well, when you start realizing this "wish list" outweighs your means, you start a discouraged downward spiral. With this completely irrational insecurity as the worldview, women are noticeably projecting their anger at Pinterest and subsequently anyone who can do what they want. The sock bun is no exception.

The sock bun is the pinnacle girl hairstyle that says, "Who cares? It's only hair," and is thus placed in high esteem amongst college women. In short you make your hair into a ponytail at the crown of your head, wrap a sock around that, and then turn your hair into a donut. It's so easy and looks so put together you A. don't have to try and B. Don't have to look like you didn't have to try. Should be pretty attainable for everyone, right? WRONG! Unlike the rest of the female population on campus, many of my fellow female classmates and my hair is not even remotely close to this "simple" feat. I'm pretty sure that the chick in Tangled still has to grow her hair a bit longer to attain this style:
We then resort to biotin supplements and putting eggs in our hair (which first off smells ratchet and second of IS ratchet and third off of course was found on pinterest!) to make our hair grow THAT long with no avail. Look around you, the chick that can do the sock bun, she's the best woman ever. So much talent. So much glam.

So for my fellow hair inept females, here is what I've resolved to do regarding this trend:
1. Recognize that desiring hair growth to put an old sock in there and make a bun is absolutely absurd
2. Be content with my medium length hair
3. Get rid of unattainable wishlist boards
4. Own that ponytail
5. Work that up do
6. GET OFF PINTEREST WHILST STUDYING. 

There you go ladies, you're not alone. 

1 comment: