Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nursing School: The Program in Which You Have the Best of Friends

It's not a big deal or anything, but in nursing school they tell you that you have to spend at least 10 hours a day with the material, and boy do they mean it. It's not a simple, "I can take a sick day," kind of situation, but one in which you are completely immersed and form an unhealthy relationship with everything. Let me explain in the most relatable way possible, though no way I can spin it sounds appealing.

My textbooks all have authors that wrote them (obv), but it's no longer a matter of what the title is, but the books becoming a person you spend huge amounts of time with. I mean, to be quite honest I spend more time with these made up entities than I do my own boyfriend or any of my friends (which I'm not exactly excited about having to do). They're starting to become people, and just like a real group of friends, they have their own distinct personalities. Here are some notable examples:

Abrams is the kind of guy that knows he's smart, but loves to help people get on his level. He coaches you along so you feel like you aren't being judged by everything he says. He doesn't just say, "Simply put," and follow it with a slew of Arabic that no one can understand. He says "Simply put," and follows it with things that are...well...simple. You always want Abrams in your study group.

Porth however, is that kid that grew up being a genius in everything and never let anyone forget it. If you thought something wrong, he will let you know right away, and you feel like a complete idiot, like, oh yeah, that's right, how could I forget atrial fibrillation it's common sense...no one likes to talk to him for anything.

Potter and Perry are the guys that hang out together and you almost never want to ask them any question. They're those guys that when you ask them a simple question like, "Why would you cover up a patient when examining their stomach?" will respond in five thousand different ways or scenarios, when you basically got the gist with the first sentence when it said that they need their modesty protected. I mean, we get that. No one is going to question that. They always will talk your ear off, so plan on spending a lot of time with them, or tune them out.

Brunner and Suddarth are kind of like Potter and Perry in that they really like to drive the point home. They are also those guys that watch the news a lot and soak up all the statistics. If you want any information on what anyone says about anyone, they will let you know. I can tell that they've been itching for the chance to test their knowledge base on everyone, and definitely jump at the opportunity to have a geek fest with you. You love it, but you also hate it, but you also love it. 

Jarvis is my girl though! She is so stinking cute. I imagine she'd be the one always posting on Facebook with pictures of her everywhere. She loves showing you what to do instead of telling you. When you first meet her you have to understand that she likes to whip out a med term every other word, but you get used to it and love her for it. She is a pretty laid back chick and can always give you a thought or two, and I feel like I spend the most time with her. We kick it.

Hence why nursing is the best school choice of insane people. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment